I continue to be thwarted in my attempts to resolve a lean condition with respect to carburetion (fuel). I've discovered that if I run the NX, after the engine comes up to temperature, with the choke partially on, it runs without hesitation. However, if I run at speed (say 45 mph) for a considerable distance, the engine begins hesitating (not quite missing), like it's running low on fuel (in the float bowl). There are times when the bike will accelerate normally and other times when it just doesn't seem to "have it." I've removed, disassembled, checked (and re-checked), assembled and re-installed the carburetor several times now and haven't discovered any (potential) issues. The bike is totally stock yet it doesn't seem to run as it should. Eventually, I'll probably take it to the local Honda shop to see what they think. However, I'm not quite ready to 'surrender' to the dealer just yet. Frustratingly, there's no information on the stock carburetor (a Keihin PD 52 E). I'm guessing Honda made it for a short time and then decided it was worthless (??). I wonder what type of carb a NX125 Transcity (the non-US model) comes with. I had hoped that a carb rebuild kit might be helpful and even managed to locate one on eBay. However, after chatting with the eBay seller, it appears to be for a California model with the #98 main jet instead of the #100 - that's all I need, a leaner main jet). I managed to look for and located my compression tester. I'll see what the compression is but I'm guessing it's OK. If it wasn't, it certainly wouldn't run very good regardless of the rpm (I would think). I added a small zip-tie to the choke cable below the adjuster knob. That prevents me from pushing the cable all the way in thus keeping the choke partially on.
I did fix the rain/debris flap on the front fender. I used a small piece of plastic from a very large ketchup bottle to provide some support (and prevent the rubber flap from getting sucked up under the fender again). However, that plastic piece isn't as strong as I would like and I may end up replacing it with a similarly sized (and shaped) piece from a liquid laundry detergent container. Again, stay tuned.
After my weekend tear down (see above), I was a little disturbed to find that the Givi top case, fully loaded, is quite heavy (10-15 lbs., I'm guessing). While that doesn't seem very heavy, having that weight supported by the turn signals gives me reason to re-think my original idea regarding cargo carrying. I would prefer not to wear a backpack for the simple reason that it usually prevents a jacket from venting (by covering up the exit vents on the back of the jacket). Also, I need something that's waterproof. I came across a waterproof backpack from Seattle Sports. True, it's a backpack but it's pretty much one of their dry sacks that happens to have D rings for a harness. So, I could simply strap the backpack to my rear rack (thus leaving my jacket to vent properly) and use the shoulder straps when I get to work. I will miss being able to lock my helmet (and gloves) in the top case but that's not a terribly big deal. I'd prefer to get some weight off the bike.