Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Vanessa Vacillating

Well, after my good friend sends me an email, I'm back to thinking a rear rack will work and that a side rack will be "Plan B".

The NX (shown at right) is a model not imported into the US.  How do I know?  It has a front disc brake, has wording on the side panels and has different wording on the swing arm (hard to see, I know, based on the image size).  Additionally, the rear turn signals are missing, although, that may be due to the rear rack.  Interestingly, the shop manual illustration shows the rear turn signals attached to a bracket that protrudes from rear fender sub-frame.  In actuality, the rear turn signals go through the rear fender and fasten the rear fender, frame and sub-frame together.  It's this attachment point that I plan to use for the rear rack.  The turn signals will be relocated to a bracket on the rack itself.

This image is what made me reconsider the rear rack.  A little detective work, based on the angle of the rack tubing below the seat, reveals that it uses the seat bolts as a connection point (there aren't any other fastener points in the immediate vicinity = process of elimination).  So, the rack is cantilevered with the main load points being taken by the frame itself (the rear fender and tail lights are supported by a tubular sub-frame which bolts to the frame proper at the rear turn signal connection points).  In all probability, the tubing is 1/2" mild steel and I'm still trying to decide if I want to stick with round tube or go with square tube.  Why square?  Well, for one, I'd prefer a flat surface to mount the E200 Givi rack (using my TransAlp rack as a template).  But, ultimately that means that only the tubing where the rack mounts needs to be square, the rest could be round.  Since I now own a tubing bender, I could justify it's purchase price by using it for this application (which is what I had intended all along).

No comments:

Post a Comment